The Original Hardwax-Oil
- Clear and transparent colour finishes available
- High Solid: Extremely durable and hardwearing
- Very water, dirt and abrasion resistant
- Enhances the wood’s natural character
- Highly resistant to common liquid spillages such as water, juice, tea, cola and wine
- Saliva-resistant and sweatproof, suitable for children’s toys (EN71.3)
- Microporous, breathable finish which does not crack, peel, flake or blister
- No sanding necessary for future applications
- Looking for a Rapid drying time? View Polyx®-Oil Rapid
*Please note that there is currently a transition of labels due to the introduction the Osmo Tinting System with new colour possibilities. It is possible that slight variations to the sticker on the front of the product label may occur depending on point of purchase.
Osmo Flat Brush, Floor Brush, Hand Pad or Osmo Microfibre Roller
Interior wooden floors and furniture
One coat, when signs of wear become visible
5ml, 125ml, 375ml, 750ml, 2.5L, 10L
Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 18%).
Osmo Polyx®-Oil Original is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well using a flat stirring stick or spatula before use.
Clean old microporous stains thoroughly. Old paints and lacquers must be completely removed. As a general rule, wear a dust mask during sanding works. Fill small cracks, larger joints or holes in wood (with Osmo Wood Filler).
Sand wood surfaces carefully. Begin with coarse sandpaper – final sanding work for flooring P120-150, for furniture P180-240. Before oiling the surface, remove sanding dust with a broom or vacuum.
The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
Method of Application
With Osmo Flat Brush, Floor Brush, Oil Finish Applicator Fleece (Hand Pad Holder) or Osmo Microfibre Roller, apply thinly along the wood grain and spread well. Allow to dry for approx. 8-10 hours under good ventilation.
After drying, quickly apply a second coat also thinly. After 2-3 weeks, the surface is fully cured. When renovating or recoating an already oiled surface, one coat applied to the clean and dry surface is usually sufficient.
Oils enhance the natural tone of wood (permanent wet effect). Applying the product too generously and insufficient ventilation lead to delays in drying.
For dark and extractive-rich hardwoods (e.g. Wenge, Merbau, Jatoba etc.), we recommend using Osmo Wood Wax Finish Clear Extra Thin. A trial application is recommended.
For cork surfaces, due to their high absorbency please ensure that the wood finish is applied especially thinly.
On cork, longer drying times are to be taken into consideration (at least 24 hours).
Caution: Apply max. one coat thinly to cabinet interiors and drawers with a cloth.
If a higher gloss level is desired use Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner very thinly and polish when dry. Avoid using Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner on surfaces that have not dried and cured properly. Always trial apply first.
Using general or multi-purpose cleaners will increase the frequency of maintenance and recoating. Allow finish to fully cure before heavy usage.
Regular Cleaning: Wood surfaces treated with Polyx®-Oil are highly repellent and easy to maintain. Remove debris with the Osmo green Dust-Mop from the Mop Cleaning Kit for Floors, or use a broom or a vacuum cleaner.Damp mop floors using diluted Osmo Wash and Care and the Osmo Micro-Mop Plush from the Mop Cleaning Kit for Floors. Avoid saturating the surface with water. For the convenient cleaning of floors use Osmo Spray-Mop. For furniture or small areas, use Osmo Spray Cleaner and Osmo Easy Pads.
Occasional Maintenance: For spot cleaning stubborn scuff marks, or occasionally refreshing satin or gloss Polyx-Oils use Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner. Alternatively, Osmo Maintenance Oils can be used to occasionally refresh most Polyx Oil sheen levels, including matt. Ensure surfaces are appropriately cleaned before thinly applying Osmo Maintenance Oils.
Recoating: Simply re-apply one coat onto the appropriately cleaned and dried surface when signs of wear become visible.
Before and After Examples
**Treated with Polyx®-Oil Original
is the classic types of wood. A traditional wood, yet timeless and always in fashion.
is the most important European type of wood. The bright knotty wood is used everywhere in interior design and is always on trend.
Origin: Scandinavia / Russia
is an unobtrusive predominantly bright wood with a clear and distinctive drawing.
shows up as yellow-reddish brown wood with fine pores
is a classic. This wood is particularly popular because of its warm hue.
Origin: Scandinavia / Russia
is a coveted native species reddish-brown colour.
OSMO FLOOR BRUSH
Made with 100% natural bristles with soft tips which gives fine control in achieving the desired effect. Make short work of large areas with exceptional coverage capacities to produce professional looking results every time. With a high quality beech frame and robust backing plate, simply attach the Osmo extendable telescopic handle for applying in comfort.
OSMO FLOOR ROLLER SET
Made with microfibres to ensure high coverage allowing you to apply thinly, thoroughly and evenly along the wood grain and spread well. For first application, two coats is recommended onto a clean and dry surface. For renovation, just one coat is necessary.
- Douglas Fir
- Maple: apply very thinly and carry out a trial application before use.
- American/European Walnut: apply very thinly and carry out a trial application before use.
- Smoked Oak: 3011 Glossy, 3032 Satin, 3065 Semi-Matt are possible. 3062 Matt is not recommended because the matting agents within 3062 are likely to react with the dark colour and result with a white powdery effect.
The wood species below are not recommended for Polyx-Oil Original. Please use Osmo Wood Wax Finish Extra Thin instead.
- South American Walnut
Also Not Recommended
- Green Oak: moisture content is often above the maximum 20% recommended.
- Idigbo: contains yellow dyes which leaches when the wood becomes wet and stains when in contact within iron.
- Other woods treated with a varnish, lacquer or other surface coatings must be completely sanded before use.
- Clear oils can darken the appearance of the wood. To retain the light character of oak please use Osmo Polyx®-Oil 3044 Raw.
- Some woods are highly porous and require an especially thin application, as a result the drying time can be increased.
- Ventilate well while drying. After 2-3 weeks, the surface is fully cured.
- Application of top coat of clear Osmo Polyx®-Oil Original can be carried out once the first coat has dried. However, if the first coat was a coloured Osmo finish ( eg Polyx®-Oil Tint or Wood Wax Finish Transparent) wait approx. 24hrs before applying Osmo Polyx®-Oil Original clear top coat.
- For top coating Osmo white colours use white tinted Polyx Oils ( eg: 3040 or 3240) to avoid yellowing.
- Recommended application is 35ml/m²
- For exotic hardwood species use Osmo Wood Wax Finish Extra Thin.
- A base coat of Osmo Wood Protector is recommended for use in bathrooms or kitchens.
- Multi-purpose cleaners such as washing up liquids and detergents are highly detrimental to the finished surface and is not recommended to be used as discolouration or staining may be possible.
- Other household cleaning products such as vanish, bleach, baking soda etc. are likely to cause severe discolouration or staining.
- Be cautious if applying 3062 Clear Matt over a dark coloured surface. The matting agents within 3062 may produce a white mist or powdery effect upon the surface. It is recommended to apply 3065 Semi-Matt if a sheen is not desired. With any finish option, always trial apply first!
Osmo Polyx®-Oils are developed from natural oils and waxes to provide the most hardwearing and durable protection for wooden flooring and furniture.
The wood’s true beauty is accomplished by using Osmo Polyx®-Oil. The emphasis on the wood’s grain and natural characteristics provides a warm and rich effect to ensure that any interior looks luxurious and elegant. Each wood has its own style and unique charm, and is seductive from the first sight.