TopOil Surface Kit
An all-in-one maintenance kit for worktops and table tops
TopOil Surface Kit contains the following items:
- x1 500ml TopOil 3058 (Clear Matt)
- x1 500ml Spray Cleaner (8026)
- x1 Hand Pad Holder
- x1 Oil Finish Application Fleece
- x1 Abrasive Pad
- x1 Pair of Gloves
Osmo Oil Finish Application Fleece (Supplied)
Kitchen wooden worktop and tables
One coat, when signs of wear become visible
500ml (TopOil), 500ml (Spray Cleaner)
8-10 hours (TopOil), Cloth to wipe dry (Spray Cleaner)
24m²/L with one coat (TopOil), Depends heavily on the amount of dirt and stains (Spray Cleaner)
2 coats with the Oil Finish Application Fleece (Supplied)
Osmo Spray Cleaner (Supplied)
Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 18%).
Osmo TopOil is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well before use.
Clean old microporous stains thoroughly. Old paints and lacquers must be completely removed. As a general rule, wear a dust mask during sanding works.
Fill small cracks, larger joints or holes in wood (with Osmo Wood Filler).
Sand wood surfaces carefully. Begin with coarse sandpaper then progress to finer grades– final sanding work for furniture P150-240 (depending on wood species ). For kitchen work tops using absorbent hardwoods like Oak or Beech, final sanding grade P120. For very absorbent woods like Pine, sand to a maximum of P150.
For dark and extractive-rich woods (e.g. Iroko, Teak, Mahogany, Sapele, Wenge, Merbau, Jatoba, Cedar etc.), we recommend using Osmo Wood Wax Finish Clear Extra Thin. A trial application is recommended.
Before oiling the surface, remove sanding dust with a soft brush or vacuum cleaner.
The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
Method of Application
Apply the first coat thinly along the wood grain with the Oil Finish Application Fleece supplied. Remove any excess TopOil with a clean, dry lint free cloth.
Allow to dry for approx. 8-10 hours. Ventilate well while drying.
Thinly apply the second coat with the Oil Finish Applicator Fleece. Avoid covering during drying and curing. After 2-3 weeks, the surface is fully cured.
For renovations, one coat applied to the clean and dry surface with an Oil Finish Applicator Fleece or lint-free cloth is usually sufficient.
Once the TopOil has fully cured, clean the newly oiled surface using the cleaning spray supplied as and when required.
The supplied abrasive pad can be used to help remove minor scratches, scuffs or dirt from waxed or oiled work surfaces prior to cleaning and renovation.
Regular Cleaning: Dust mopping. Damp mopping using Osmo Spray-Cleaner.
Occasional Maintenance: Intensive cleaning and refreshing using Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner or Osmo Maintenance Oil.
Recoating: Simply re-apply one coat onto the clean and dry surface when signs of wear become visible.
For any wood types not mentioned, please always trial apply.
- Douglas Fir
- Maple: apply very thinly and carry out a trial application before use.
- American/European Walnut: apply very thinly and carry out a trial application before use.
The wood species below are not recommended for TopOil. Please use Osmo Wood Wax Finish Extra Thin instead.
- South American Walnut
Also Not Recommended
- Green Oak: moisture content is often above the maximum 20% recommended.
- Idigbo: contains yellow dyes which leaches when the wood becomes wet and stains when in contact within iron.
- Other woods treated with a varnish, lacquer or other surface coatings must be completely sanded before use.
Before and After Examples
**Treated with TopOil
is the classic types of wood. A traditional wood, yet timeless and always in fashion.
is the most important European type of wood. The bright knotty wood is used everywhere in interior design and is always on trend.
Origin: Scandinavia / Russia
is an unobtrusive predominantly bright wood with a clear and distinctive drawing.
shows up as yellow-reddish brown wood with fine pores
is a classic. This wood is particularly popular because of its warm hue.
Origin: Scandinavia / Russia
is a coveted native species reddish-brown colour.
- Shake very well before use. Failure to mix all ingredients ( and colour) could lead to an increased patchiness.
- For dark and extractive-rich woods (e.g. Iroko, Teak, Mahogany, Sapele, Wenge, Merbau, Jatoba, Cedar etc.), we recommend using Osmo Wood Wax Finish Clear Extra Thin. A trial application is recommended.
- For kitchen worktops, Osmo Wood Protector 4006 is an optional pre-treatment for absorbent wood like: Pine, Birch or Spruce. Osmo Wood Protector 4006 will help to raise the water repellant qualities of the timber prior to applying Osmo Top Oil.
- Wood pre-treated with Osmo Wood Protector 4006 may appear a little more dark and colour intensified. Always trial apply Osmo Top Oil 3068 Natural over the Wood Protector 4006 to ensure the final appearance meets with expectations.
- Avoid covering during drying and curing. After 2-3 weeks, the surface is fully cured.
- Multi-purpose cleaners such as washing up liquids and detergents are highly detrimental to the finished surface and is not recommended to be used as discolouration or staining may be possible.
- Other household cleaning products such as vanish, bleach, baking soda etc. are likely to cause severe discolouration or staining.
Microporous natural hardwax-oil wood finish which is extremely tough and hardwearing. It is water repellent and dirt resistant. The finish is resistant against wine, beer, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juices, milk and water. These types of liquid spillages will tightly bead on the surface without leaving any marks, simply clean by wiping with a cloth.
OSMO SPRAY CLEANER (Supplied)
Ideal spray solution for everyday cleaning and maintenance – especially developed for oiled and waxed wood surfaces. It contains soaps based on natural oils to ensure the wood does not dry out from cleaning. The water-soluble ingredients prevent streaks and do not form a layer. Especially mild on skin, free of dyes and aromas, biodegradable, free of solvents and emissions, all to support a healthy living environment.
Kills bacteria and viruses including covid-19 whilst nourishing natural oil and hardwax surfaces. Highly effective cleaning while maintaining protected surfaces without wear of treatment. Easy to use, simple spray and wipe clean. Suitable for domestic and commercial. Available in 500ml spray bottle and 5-litre unit.
For the simple and optimal application of all oil finishes on smooth subsurfaces.
Hand Pad Holder (85 x 135 mm) and Oil Finish Application Fleece (95 x 155 mm) supplied in kit.