Wood Wax Finish
All Round Protection For The Interior
- Suitable for all interior use
- Wood grain remains visible with transparent tones and wood grain can be hidden with intensive tones
- Very durable and hardwearing
- Water and dirt resistant
- Resistant to common liquid spillages such as water, juice, tea, cola and wine
- Saliva-resistant and sweatproof, suitable for children’s toys
- Microporous, breathable finish which does not crack, peel or flake
- No sanding necessary for spot repairs or future applications
Transparent colours allow for the wood’s natural grain and character to remain visible. For high tread surfaces such as flooring, a second coat of Polyx®-Oil is required. Otherwise, for furniture and joinery a second coat of Wood Wax Finish can be applied for a more intensive colour tone.
Intensive colours allow the wood’s natural grain and character to remain visible after the first coat, however these characteristics become hidden after the second coat. For high tread surfaces such as flooring – only one coat is recommended, followed by a clear coat of Polyx®-Oil. This is to ensure the colour is also protected from wear. For furniture, joinery and children’s toys – a second coat can be applied for an opaque colour tone, hiding the wood’s character.
Transparent or Intensive colours
Osmo Flat Brush, Microfibre Roller or Hand Pad
Protection and decorative finishing of wood in indoor areas
One coat, when signs of wear become visible
5ml, 125ml, 375ml, 750ml, 2.5L
Osmo Brush Cleaner
24m²/L with one coat
2 coats, or flooring only 1 coat plus top coat of Polyx-Oil
Osmo Spray Cleaner
The wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (max. 18% moisture content). Osmo Wood Wax Finish is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well before use.
Clean old microporous stains thoroughly. Old paints and lacquers must be completely removed. As a general rule, wear a dust mask during sanding works. Fill small cracks, larger joints or holes in wood (with Osmo Wood Filler).
Sand wood surface carefully, begin with coarse sandpaper – final sanding work for flooring P120-150, for furniture P220-240.
Before applying oils, remove sanding dust from the surface by sweeping or vacuuming.
If possible, please apply the first coat to all sides before installation.
The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
Method of Application
Transparent colour (one coat): with Osmo Flat Brush, Oil Finish Applicator Fleece (Hand Pad Holder) or Microfibre Roller, apply very thinly to the clean and dry wood surface along the wood grain and spread well.
For a more subtle stained effect, apply thinly with a lint-free cloth and within 20 minutes, wipe away cleanly and evenly. Ventilate well while drying.
Intensive colour (two coats): with Osmo Flat Brush or Microfibre Roller, apply very thinly to the clean and dry wood surface along the wood grain and spread well. Ventilate well while drying. Apply the second coat – also thinly.
Note: Larger areas can also be coated by using a scraper. Afterwards rub in with a white pad.
Important: For mechanically loaded areas, e.g. flooring, we recommend max. one coat and generally a thin top coat with clear Osmo Polyx®-Oil Original. For white flooring, a top coat with lightly white pigmented Osmo Polyx®-Oil Tints 3040 White. Drying time of Wood Wax Finish used on floors, approx. 24 hours (normal climatic conditions, 23 °C/ 50 % rel. humidity). Ventilate well while drying. After 2-3 weeks, the floor surface is fully cured.
In general, intensive colour applications (two coloured coats) are not recommended for flooring due to the risk of applying too much product.
Applying the product too generously and insufficient ventilation lead to delays in drying time and the typical smell of oil.
Choose colour tones that match the natural tone of wood or a darker colour tone (trial application).
Oils enhance the natural colour tone of wood (permanent wet effect).
For dark and extractive-rich hardwoods (e.g. Wenge, Mahogany, Merbau etc.), we recommend applying Osmo Wood Wax Finish Clear Extra Thin. Trial application is recommended.
Caution: Apply max. one coat thinly to cabinet interiors and drawers with a cloth.
Using general or multi-purpose cleaners will increase the frequency of maintenance and recoating. Allow finish to fully cure before heavy usage.
Regular Cleaning: Dust mopping using the green Dust-Mop from the Osmo Mop Cleaning Kit for Floors. Damp mopping using Osmo Wash and Care or Osmo Spray-Mop.
Occasional Maintenance: Intensive cleaning and refreshing using Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner or Osmo Maintenance Oil.
Recoating: Simply re-apply one coat onto the clean and dry surface when signs of wear become visible.
For all other wood types not specified, always trial apply.
- Douglas Fir
- Maple: apply very thinly and carry out a trial application before use.
- American/European Walnut: apply very thinly and carry out a trial application before use.
The wood species below are not recommended for Polyx-Oil Original. Please use Osmo Wood Wax Finish Extra Thin instead.
- South American Walnut
Also Not Recommended
- Green Oak: moisture content is often above the maximum 20% recommended.
- Idigbo: contains yellow dyes which leaches when the wood becomes wet and stains when in contact within iron.
- Other woods treated with a varnish, lacquer or other surface coatings must be completely sanded before use.
OSMO SMALL ROLLER SET
Microfibre roller and 60mm natural bristle brush set to ensure high coverage allowing you to apply thinly, thoroughly and evenly along the wood grain and spread well. For first application, two coats is recommended onto a clean and dry surface. For renovation, just one coat is necessary.
OSMO FLOOR BRUSH
Made with 100% natural bristles with soft tips which gives fine control in achieving the desired effect. Make short work of large areas with exceptional coverage capacities to produce professional looking results every time. With a high quality beech frame and robust backing plate, simply attach the Osmo extendable telescopic handle for applying in comfort.
OSMO FLOOR ROLLER SET
Made with microfibres to ensure high coverage allowing you to apply thinly, thoroughly and evenly along the wood grain and spread well. For first application, two coats is recommended onto a clean and dry surface. For renovation, just one coat is necessary.
- Stir well using a flat stirring stick or spatula before use. Failure to mix the colour and all ingredients could lead to an increased patchiness.
- For resinous wood species, use Osmo Wood Wax Finish Clear Extra Thin.
- Two coats can be applied on wooden furniture, doors and joinery, but only one coat on flooring – as a second coat of Osmo Polyx®-Oil is required.
- Wood grain remains visible with ‘transparent’ tones and wood grain is hidden (after two coats) of ‘intensive’ tones.
- When using 3111 White as the first coat on flooring, a second coat of 3040 White from Polyx®-Oil Tints is recommended to avoid yellowing.
- Lightly coloured glazing effect: within 20 minutes after applying the coat, wipe with a cloth or a white pad along the wood grain.
- As a colouring primer for flooring: Leave to dry for approx. 24 hrs to allow pigmentation to cure before applying second coat with Osmo Polyx®-Oil.
- For alternative colour tones, see Osmo Polyx®-Oil Tints.
- Ventilate well while drying and avoid covering the surface. After 2-3 weeks, the floor surface is fully cured.
- Multi-purpose cleaners such as washing up liquids and detergents are highly detrimental to the finished surface and is not recommended to be used as discolouration or staining may be possible.
- Other household cleaning products such as vanish, bleach, baking soda etc. are likely to cause severe discolouration or staining.
- Be cautious if applying 3062 Clear Matt over a dark coloured surface such as 3161 Ebony or 3169 Black. The matting agents within 3062 may produce a white mist or powdery effect upon the surface. It is recommended to apply 3065 Semi-Matt if a sheen is not desired. Always trial apply!
- Approx. coverage: 24m²/L with one coat
- No. of coats: 1-2
- Application temperature: +5°C
- Drying time: 24 hrs.
- Sizes: 0.125L, 0.375L, 0.750L, 2.5L
Combining all the advantages of oils and waxes in one unique product. It is possible to create an almost infinite variation of naturally occurring colour shades to enhance the grain showing a gorgeous, natural colour tone or if you prefer a choice of intensive, bright or vivid colours – Wood Wax Finish is the product to give your interior wood a durable surface that adapts to the demands of life. Resistant to water and dirt, is wipe-proof and stain resistant. Easy application – no need for sanding between coats, which saves time and money. Resistant against liquid spillages and the dry finish is safe for humans, plants and animals.