Meeting the Demands of Wooden Decking
- Natural wood character remains visible
- Safe for humans, animals and plants once dry
- Highly water and dirt resistant
- Breathable therefore reducing water logging, swelling and shrinkage
- Microporous, penetrating finish which does not crack, peel or flake
- No sanding necessary when topping up coating
*Please note that there is currently a transition of labels due to the introduction the Osmo Tinting System with new colour possibilities. It is possible that slight variations to the sticker on the front of the product label may occur depending on point of purchase.
Decking-Oil colours were developed to appear in harmony with their respective wood species e.g. 009 Larch for Larch wood decking. The wood’s natural colour and character will influence the final result. Plus, the darker the colour, the stronger the UV-resistance. Please always trial apply!
Osmo Decking Brush
Exterior wooden decking and furniture
One coat, when signs of wear become visible
5ml, 125ml, 750ml, 2.5L
Osmo Brush Cleaner
24m²/L with one coat
2 coats, or one colour coat plus top coat of Osmo Anti-Slip Decking Oil 430
Osmo Decking Cleaner
Bare wood species with a high content of natural wood extractives need to weather off (min. 4 weeks) before the initial treatment or be cleaned with Osmo Brush Cleaner and Thinner (degreaser).
Resinous wood, such as Larch or Douglas Fir, needs to weather off for at least 6 weeks to improve absorbency. Pressure impregnated wood and tropical species like Massaranduba, Bangkirai, Garapa, Iroko need to weather off for at least 3 months. Cedar requires a 3 month weathering period to improve absorbency.
Greyed and weathered wood can be refreshed with Osmo Wood Reviver Power-Gel before applying Osmo Decking Oils. Avoid using jet / power washers to clean the surface as they can significantly affect the coverage of Osmo Decking Oils. Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 20%).
Osmo Decking-Oil is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well using a flat stirring stick or spatula before use.
Thoroughly clean or lightly sand old microporous stains or completely remove old varnishes before application. If any sanding works are carried out some fresh wood species must be weathered as directed above to improve absorbency once more. Sanding to finishing grades of no more than a P120 grit are recommended. Always wear a dust mask when sanding.
If possible, and if the wood is absorbent please apply the first coat to all sides before installation.
The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
If additional protection against blue stain, rot and insect attack is desired ( eg soft woods) , pre-treat the wood, if possible on all sides, with Osmo WR Impregnation.
Method of Application
Use stiff brush (Osmo Flat Brush) or a lint free cloth (e.g. for furniture) and apply thinly and evenly to the clean and dry wood surface along wood grain.
For a quick and easy application, we recommend using Osmo Decking Brush (150 mm) which was tailor-made for decking and allows you to apply the finish while standing.
Allow for good ventilation while drying. Lower temperatures and higher humidity levels will delay drying.
Once dry apply the second coat – also thinly.
If a less intensive colour is desired, the second coat should be carried out with clear Anti-Slip Decking Oil 430. Generally the more rich and dark the colour chosen, the higher the level of UV protection offered. Avoid applying clear Anti-Slip Decking Oil 430 as a stand alone finish as this offers limited UV protection.
Osmo Teak-Oil 007 is a clear decking oil finish and therefore offers only little protection against UV radiation (greying).
As a clear top coat for fence panels / screens, we recommend Osmo UV-Protection-Oil/UV-Protection-Oil Extra. For decking the clear Anti-Slip Decking Oil 430 should be applied over 1 x coat of a coloured Osmo Decking Oil. Clear Anti-Slip Decking oil 430 offers higher pigment protection which increases the durability of the finish against wear and weather.
For especially mechanically loaded areas (e.g. decking), we recommend checking the finish at least once a year and to eventually recoat the surface with the appropriate finish.
Due to their surface properties, ribbed or grooved as well as rough (sawn) wood surfaces absorb more product per square metre than smooth surfaces.
Many wood species contain water-soluble coloured extractives ( eg Larch ) which may leach out naturally when weathered. Weathered, bare wood surfaces can be refreshed with Osmo Wood Reviver Power-gel.
Using jet/power washers or multi-purpose cleaners will increase the frequency of maintenance and recoating.
Regular Cleaning: Damp cleaning with diluted Osmo Decking Cleaner using Osmo Decking Cleaning Brush.
Occasional Maintenance: If necessary, intensive cleaning and refreshing using Osmo Wood Reviver Power Gel or Osmo Gard Clean ( for green growth).
Recoating: Simply re-apply one coat onto the clean and dry surface when signs of wear become visible.
For all other wood types not mentioned, always trial apply first.
- Thermowood and Thermally Modified Timber (TMT): prone to grey very fast and therefore application is recommended within the first two weeks after processing. Decking-Oil 010 Thermowood is optically suitable.
For the following wood types, WR Base Coat is recommended before use.
Recommended After Weathering Period
For the following wood types, a weathering period is recommended. Depending on wood species, new or freshly sanded wood requires up to 12 weeks (approximate) exposure to the exterior elements before application.
After the weathering period, it is generally recommended to clean the surface from the extractive content. Osmo Wood Reviver Power-Gel can be used to refresh the colour of the wood. If necessary and before application, de-grease the dried surface with Osmo Brush Cleaner and Thinner (degreaser), always trial apply!
For all other ingredient-rich hardwood species not mentioned may require a varied period of exposure. Please contact us for further information.
- Sapele: 2 – 4 weeks exposure.
- Rosewood: 4-6 weeks exposure. However, Natural Oil Woodstain 727 Rosewood is optically suitable and requires a weathering period of approx. 12 weeks before use of Natural Oil Woodstain.
- Douglas Fir: 6 weeks exposure. Application of WR Base Coat is also recommended.
- Larch: 6 weeks exposure. Decking-Oil 009 Larch is optically suitable. Application of WR Base Coat is recommended before use.
- Cedar: 12 weeks exposure.
- Iroko: 12 weeks exposure.
- Mahogany: 12 weeks exposure.
- Teak: 12 weeks exposure.
- Tropical Walnut: 6-8 weeks exposure.
- Merbau: 12 weeks exposure.
- Ipe: 6-8 weeks exposure. 006 Bangkirai is optically suitable and a very popular choice of colour tone.
- Pressure-Impregnated Pine: 12 weeks exposure.
- Garapa: 12 weeks exposure. 013 Garapa is optically suitable.
- Balau: 12 weeks exposure. 006 Bangkirai is optically suitable and a very popular choice of colour tone.
- Bangkirai: 12 weeks exposure. 006 Bangkirai is optically suitable and a very popular choice of colour tone.
- Massaranduba: 12 weeks exposure. 014 Massaranduba is optically suitable and a very popular choice of colour tone.
- Green Oak: moisture content is often above the maximum 20% recommended.
- Idigbo: contains yellow dyes which leaches when the wood becomes wet and stains when in contact within iron.
- Other: woods treated with a varnish, lacquer or other surface coatings must be completely sanded before use.
- For a clear and natural finish for decking, apply just two coats of 007 Teak Oil, which allows the wood to naturally grey over time.
- The darker the colour, the slower the greying process of the wood will start to appear.
- Osmo Anti-Slip Decking Oil 430 can be used as the second coat after any of the coloured Decking Oils to provide a slip resistant surface.
- Recommended application is 35ml/m²
- Approx. coverage: 24m²/L with one coat
- No. of coats: 2
- Ideal application temperature: +10°C to 35°C
- Drying time: 12 hrs
- Sizes: 0.125L, 0.750L, 2.5L
Osmo Decking-Oils protect, maintain and beautify the wood surface, producing a smooth, slightly satin finish which is extremely water resistant and dirt repellent. The microporous finishes are based on natural vegetable oils and allow the wood to breathe and regulated moisture content. By doing this swelling and shrinkage is reduced. The penetrated finish will not crack, flake, peel or blister.
OSMO DECKING BRUSH
Made with 100% natural bristles with soft tips which gives fine control in achieving the desired effect. 150 mm width fits perfectly between the grooves of the decking boards providing exceptional coverage capacities which produce professional looking results every time. Simply attach the Osmo extendable telescopic handle for applying in comfort.
OSMO ANTI-SLIP DECKING OIL
For a slip resistant decking surface, Osmo Anti-Slip Decking Oil 430 is recommended as the second and final coat over coloured Osmo Decking Oils.
OSMO WOOD REVIVER POWER GEL
Highly effective cleaning agent for the refreshing and cleaning of greyed and aged exterior wood. Especially developed so that it can be easily applied, even on vertical areas as it has a special non-drip formula. The deep penetrating effect of the gel removes the greyed patina, with results showing as quick as 30 minutes!
OSMO DECKING CLEANER
Osmo Decking Cleaner is a highly effective concentrate for cleaning untreated or oiled wooden decking and garden furniture. It is water soluble for quick, easy and thorough decking maintenance.