Natural Oil Woodstain
Innovative and Durable Protection
- Base and top coat in one finish
- Satin and Matt finishes available
- Fast drying
- Natural wood grain remains visible
- Extremely weather and UV resistant
- Very water and dirt resistant
- Resistant against algae, mould, mildew and fungal attack
- Reduces wood swelling and shrinkage
- Microporous, breathable finish which does not crack, peel or flake
- No sanding necessary for future applications
*Please note that there is currently a transition of labels due to the introduction the Osmo Tinting System with new colour possibilities. It is possible that slight variations to the sticker on the front of the product label may occur depending on point of purchase.
Colours were developed to appear in harmony with their respective wood species e.g. 702 Larch for Larch wood projects. The wood’s natural colour and character will influence the final result. Plus, the darker the colour, the stronger the UV-resistance. Please always trial apply!
Osmo Flat Brush or Osmo Microfibre Roller
Exterior wood surfaces
One coat, when signs of wear become visible
5ml, 125ml, 750ml, 2.5L
First coat: 4-6 hours, Second coat: 12 hours
Osmo Brush Cleaner
26m²/L with one coat
Osmo Spray Cleaner
Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 20%).
Osmo Natural Oil Woodstain is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well before use.
If possible, please apply the first coat to all sides before installation.
Clean old microporous stains thoroughly. Old paints and lacquers must be completely removed. As a general rule, wear a dust mask during sanding works.
The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
If additional protection against blue stain, rot and insects is desired, pre-treat the wood if possible on all sides with Osmo WR Base Coat.
Method of Application
With Osmo Flat Brush or Osmo Microfibre Roller, apply thinly along the wood grain and spread well.
Allow to dry for approx. 4-6 hours under good ventilation. Then apply a second coat.
For renovation works, one coat applied to the clean and dry surface is usually sufficient.
Transparent colours are influenced by the natural colour of the wood and therefore they may deviate from the sample colours. Light transparent colour tones offer only limited UV protection; therefore they are not recommended for surfaces exposed to strong sunlight. Dried surface is at first satin-glossy and then satin. To extend the life of the coating, it is recommended to apply one final top coat of Osmo UV Protection Oil Extra 420 Clear after thoroughly drying (not recommended for White 900). Many wood species contain water-soluble coloured extractives which may leach out naturally when weathered. All colour tones can be mixed with each other.
Starting from 2.5 litres per colour tone, available in 186 RAL Classic and 1950 NCS colour tones.
Transparent finishes allow the substrate to shine through. Depending on the wood species, the appearance of the colour tone may deviate from the original RAL/NCS colour tone.
Osmo Natural Oil Woodstain is furnished with biocides and therefore it is only to be used in outdoor areas.
The added active ingredients delay or minimise the risk of algae and fungal attack. For effective protection, two coats are to be carried out. In accordance with the latest technical research, permanent protection against algae and fungal attack cannot be provided.
Using power washers will severely decrease the coverage of the finish and general or multi-purpose cleaners will increase the frequency of maintenance and recoating.
Regular Cleaning: Damp cleaning with Osmo Decking Cleaner using Osmo Decking Cleaning Brush.
Occasional Maintenance: If necessary, intensive cleaning and refreshing using Osmo Wood Reviver Power Gel or Osmo Gard Clean.
Recoating: Simply re-apply one coat onto the clean and dry surface when signs of wear become visible.
For all other wood types not mentioned, always trial apply first.
- Thermowood and Thermally Modified Timber (TMT): prone to grey very fast and therefore application is recommended within the first two weeks after processing. Decking-Oil 010 Thermowood is optically suitable.
For the following wood types, WR Base Coat is recommended before use.
- Douglas Fir
Recommended After Weathering Period
For the following wood types, a weathering period is recommended. New or sanded wood requires at least 12 weeks (approximate) exposure to the exterior elements before application.
After the weathering period, it’s generally recommended to de-grey the surface with Osmo Wood Reviver Power-Gel and clean the surface from the extractive content before application, always trial apply!
For all other ingredient-rich hardwood species not mentioned may require a varied period of exposure. Please contact us for further information.
- Pressure-Impregnated Pine
- Sapele: 3-4 weeks exposure
- Larch: 2 weeks exposure. Application of WR Base Coat is recommended before use.
- Green Oak: moisture content is often above the maximum 20% recommended.
- Idigbo: contains yellow dyes which leaches when the wood becomes wet and stains when in contact within iron.
- Other: woods treated with a varnish, lacquer or other surface coatings must be completely sanded before use.
- For new resinous wood species, please allow approx. three months exposure to the outside elements prior to application.
- The transparent colour tone of the finish will be influenced by the wood’s natural colour, and testing first is always recommended.
- Over application can increase the drying times.
- Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
- Recommended application amount is approx. 35 ml/m².
- Drying time of 4-6 hrs after the first coat, but is 12 hours after both coats have been applied.
- If the subsurface does not absorb the wood finish uniformly, the colouration will be uneven. For an improved, consistent and matted surface, we recommend retreating the surface with [701 Clear]. Thereby glossy spots are matted and an even appearance is created.
- Grey wood looks classically beautiful, to allow the natural greying process to occur, apply [701 Clear].
- For more grey colour tones for an aged and weathered effect, see Osmo Natural Oil Woodstain Effect.
- Multi-purpose cleaners such as washing up liquids and detergents are highly detrimental to the finished surface and is not recommended to be used as discolouration or staining may be possible.
- Other household cleaning products such as vanish, bleach, baking soda etc. are likely to cause severe discolouration or staining.
- Many wood species contain water-soluble coloured extractives which may leach out naturally when weathered.
- Approx. coverage: 26m²/L with one coat
- No. of coats: 2
- Ideal application temperature: +10°C to 35°C
- Drying time: 4-6 hrs.
- Sizes: 0.125L, 0.750L, 2.5L
A decorative, oil-based protective finish for all exterior use.
The microporous, breathable finish allows the wood to breath and reduces the risk of swelling and shrinkage. Water repellent and extremely weather and UV resistant.
Contains active ingredients to slow growth of mildew, algae and fungal. Proven finish over decades in all kinds of climatic conditions – does not crack, flake, peel or blister.
OSMO FLAT BRUSH
Made with high quality synthetic bristles with soft tips which gives fine control in achieving the desired effect. Exceptional coverage capacities which produce professional looking results every time. Available in 25, 50, 60 and 100 mm sizes.
OSMO SMALL ROLLER SET
Microfibre roller and 60mm natural bristle brush set to ensure high coverage allowing you to apply thinly, thoroughly and evenly along the wood grain and spread well. For first application, two coats is recommended onto a clean and dry surface. For renovation, just one coat is necessary.